Clarence Gayle's Fine Tooling Lathe
This lathe was used by J.F and B.F. Meek back in the 1830’s and then in the Meek and Milam shop. It was purchased by Clarence Gayle in 1928 following the death of John Milam. Clarence could not use this foot powered lathe at this time as he was using a electrical powered one for reel making.
He sold the lathe to Edmund Rodman. Later in the early 1940’s with a new government contract, he felt he needed this particular lathe back to manufacture the parts for the contract. The parts were later acknowledged to be parts used in the atomic bomb.